(Fixed Term Contract up to 37 hours per week)
Salary: currently under review and will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and
qualifications. Currently SCP 24 to SCP 28 up to £32,234, as well as Local Authority Pension and Holidays as
well as flexible working provision
Due to the recent resignation of our Town Clerk, we are seeking a temporary Town Clerk for our town
whilst we recruit permanently.
Are you committed to serving the community?
Are you a careful administrator, a good communicator, and an enthusiastic manager? Would you
consider joining Olney Town Council as our new Town Clerk?
Olney is a small market town in Buckinghamshire with a thriving economic and social life and a great
historical heritage. The town has both primary and secondary schools within its boundaries and
boasts a wide range of hospitality and sports venues usually associated with a much larger town.
Situated in beautiful countryside close to Milton Keynes and the M1, Olney is less than 50 minutes by
train from central London.
We are seeking a dynamic and collaborative individual to serve the Council and Olney Community as
it drives forward. You will be a self-starter, able to show initiative and to think on your feet. You will
understand the functions of a Town Council.
The successful candidate will need to build a wide range of positive relationships with Councillors,
staff, residents, businesses, and other organisations. You will also manage our small team of office
and grounds staff and take overall responsibility for all the Town Council’s administrative functions.
The Council provides a wide range of quality services including a market, recreation ground, open
spaces, allotments, burial land, and the Olney Centre (Council Office). The Olney Neighbourhood
Plan, in line with Milton Keynes Council Plan MK is a working document allowing for some housing,
retail and office units to be built in Olney to 2031 and provides additional activity for the Town Clerk.
The Town Clerk is expected to be fully involved in supporting the Council to:
• Protect and improve the quality of life for the community and future generations
• Enhance the attractiveness of the town as a place in which to live, work, visit and invest
• Enhance the character and identity of the town
• Engage with the community to identify their needs, priorities and wishes
• Show due regard to advance equality of opportunity for all residents
The successful candidate will:
• Ideally hold a minimum of a CiLCA qualification
• have proven experience in administration,
• have a good understanding of local government and strong communication and IT skills
• be familiar with accounting practices
• be an effective manager of a staff team
For an informal discussion / Town Clerk pack about this opportunity please call Cllr Philip Geach, Mayor on 07971 345301 or Cllr Colin Rodden HR Committee Chair on 07515 285575.
To apply please send your current CV and a covering letter stating how you can assist our town to