Day-to-day tips for keeping your website’s content accessible and compliant- January 16th at 2pm
Day-to-day tips for keeping your website’s content accessible and compliant
In this practical session, Mark Tomkins will provide tips and guidance for making sure your parish & town council website and its content are accessible and meet their compliance requirements. He’ll cover testing tips, formatting and how to make the web pages and documents accessible and how it all fits with improving the council’s online presence with a .gov.uk domain’
- Most common accessibility fail points- what to keep an eye-out for
- Headings, text formatting and styling
- Page structuring – what and where to place content for best accessibility
- Link formatting
- How to treat images & video in an accessible way
- Accessible document & file formats
- Tables – how and where to use them
- How to check your site for accessibility easily and freely
- Setting up a checking process
- Maintaining compliance with accessibility laws & Transparency Code
Mark Tomkins is the Founder and Creative Director at National Digital Award Gold Award winning, Aubergine and website accessibility expert & champion. Aubergine are the UK’s leaders in providing fully compliant and accessible websites for town & parish councils and official partner of SLCC for the provision if compliant websites for councils. Mark has over 30+ years experience in the web industry.
Aubergine are the authors of the NALC Website Accessibility & Publishing Guidebook and are advisors to 500+ town & parish councils on website accessibility compliance. They also provide advice and guidance on the .gov.uk domain framework and are JISC and CDDO authorised to register and manage .gov.uk domains.
Mark is an experienced public speaker & trainer as well as being a parish councillor of 10+ years in his private life and is ILCA qualified, too.